Hoon.
Help me with this: you’re saying “no" I can't quite understand "While there are many ways you can say “no” diplomatically, you’re saying “no” nonetheless.", especially "you’re saying “no” nonetheless." "you're saying" seems to be serving as 'you must(or should or have to) say" given the below passage. But why is he using "you're saying "no" instead of "you must(or should or have to) say "no"? "No one can please everyone all the time, so please don’t even try. People who receive your thankless and unreciprocated giving on a regular basis are also more likely to take it for granted. There’s power that comes with exercising your right to set boundaries and say “no.” While there are many ways you can say “no” diplomatically, you’re saying “no” nonetheless."
Simply put, the writer is saying: "It is OK to be diplomatic and to dress up your 'No' answer; after the dressing up it still remains a 'No' answer, which is your objective." The "nonetheless" may be understood in this context: "In spite of the dressing up, it nonetheless remains a 'No' answer, which is exactly what you want to give, in my opinion"
Hoon, what the writer is saying is this: "In life, you have to say no sometimes. If you are afraid of upsetting people, then try dressing up your "No" answer. That's OK, but remember, however much dressing up you do, it is still a "No" answer, and that's just right; that's exactly the answer that you should give."
The author uses the gerund 'saying' to express the continuous action of the verb; "to say." The author is admonishing the protagonist to recognize that he is being taken for granted. Now, two actions are occurring at the same time in his argument: the continuous action of "saying no" while using different ways to communicate the same. For example: When I say: "I can't," I'm not able," or "not at this time," I am "saying" no in diplomatic forms. Note that the gerund takes the form of a noun.
Because the fact is that he did say No , it is not future tense as if , you should *in the future* say no or you must say no or you have to say no , but this is the past tense .. that it has already happened and he has already said no. nonetheless just means that even though you could have said other things instead of just using the form of NO but instead even with these options , you chose the simple and plain NO nonetheless.