Lana
word comparison What is the difference between "statesman" and "politician"?
From what I have read they are both the same but a statesman is a politician that is well respected and is well know for looking out for the public interest and showing great character and high moral values. So it is more like a compliment than an actual title. All statesmen are politicians Not all politicians are statesman. Hope I helped :)
I agree with Ross. Here is a helpful definition from the Oxford Dictionary: Statesman:- A skilled, experienced, and respected political leader or figure. Example: the elder statesman in the cabinet A politician, by contrast, is more ordinary: "A person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of an elected office:" Note that "politician" may also be used to described a person not involved in national or regional politics but is in general a manipulator. Example: He plays a lot of office politics. He is very political. He is a politician.
Sorry, typo: "describe"