Yolanda
please explain these sentence for me. i will really appreciate it. 1. So much precious time goes by and it seems to me I get so little out of it. What does “I get so little out of I” mean? Does it mean I can not forget it? 2. Is this what I wanted to do? Is this why I accumulated what dough I have. I feel like a highly publicized meal ticket. What does “accumulated what dough I have” and “meal ticked” mean? Does “meal ticked ” mean he is the bread maker of the family? 3. Kazan’s sense of feeling aimless and artistically spent was rare for this relentless achiever, but certainly understandable. What does artistically spent mean? 4. But by this juncture Kazan had already amassed a momentous body of work in theater and film that testifies to his unstoppable drive and restless energy. What does “amassed a momentous body” mean? Does it mean he is sick?
3. Kazan’s sense of feeling aimless and artistically spent was rare for this relentless achiever, but certainly understandable. What does artistically spent mean? In this case, "spent" means exhausted or used up. So "artistically spent" means that he feels artistically exhausted or empty. He feels unable to be creative. 4. But by this juncture Kazan had already amassed a momentous body of work in theater and film that testifies to his unstoppable drive and restless energy. What does “amassed a momentous body” mean? Does it mean he is sick? > A "body of work" is a collection of "works" (books, poetry, essays, paintings, sculpture, music compositions, etc.). A person's body of work may consist of only one of these categories or, if they are multi-talented", it could consist of more than one category (e.g. both novels and poetry or both paintings and sculpture). The word "momentous" seems to be misused here. The definition of "momentous" is "(of a decision, event, or change) of great importance or significance, especially in its bearing on the future." A better word to use to describe a large "body of work" would be "monumental". The sentence is trying to say that the large number of works that he has produced are evidence of "his unstoppable drive and restless energy".
Ben is not wrong in saying that your questions suggest that the text is a bit advanced for you. However, I will answer the questions and hope that you will find a way to succeed despite the difficulties you are having in understanding the text. 1. So much precious time goes by and it seems to me I get so little out of it. What does “I get so little out of I” mean? Does it mean I can not forget it? > It means that the writer feels that he/she is not making good use of time and is losing opportunities to do things or experience things that would be valuable to him/her. Did you get a lot out of your time in school or do you feel that it wasn't worth much and that you got very little from the time and energy you spent at school? 2. Is this what I wanted to do? Is this why I accumulated what dough I have. I feel like a highly publicized meal ticket. What does “accumulated what dough I have” and “meal ticked” mean? Does “meal ticked ” mean he is the bread maker of the family? > "dough" is slang for money. A "meal ticket" is literally a ticket or voucher that one exchanges for a meal. Figuratively, being a "meal ticket" means that the person is the money earner (or the "bread winner") for someone else (a girlfriend, a wife, his children, his parents and/or siblings).
I think you should take Ben's advice and find something more appropriate for your English ability. The general rule is that you should understand 90% of the text to benefit from it. I'll explain these things for you, but I think you should find something easier to read. 1. "I get so little out of it." means that he gains very little. In that sentence, it means he is wasting his time. 2. "Accumulated what dough I have." 'Dough' is a slang word for money. This means that he has earned money. 3. "artistically spent" 'Spent' here means tired or exhausted. The sentence means that he has used all of his creative ability. 4. "amassed a momentous body" To amass means to gather. This sentence means he has created a large body of work--films and plays in this case.
1. Why are you reading this? It is obviously way beyond your level. 2. If you look up a dictionary, select to the best of your ability an appropriate definition for each word that you do not know, and then from there deduce a meaning for each, then we shall help you correct your work. If you just sit there and wait to be spoon-fed, then we would be much less sympathetic.