Help me to gain an understanding of a word-combination by the example of a sentence, please. The sentence is "Russia is also home to the world’s largest active volcano", where I don't quite understand the "Russia is also home to" part. Does that simply mean "be located in"? If so, when do you use "something is home to something" exactly? Does the word-combination "be home to" impact some particular meaning to a sentence in which one could simply say "be located in" or what? Thanks for attention! =)
This is a very common way of expressing the idea that something is found or originates in a particular location. The advantage of this phrasing is that it makes 'Russia' the subject of the sentence. If I say "Russia is home to the world’s largest active volcano" I am telling you something interesting about Russia. Compare these two sentences: "Russia is home to the world’s largest active volcano" and "The world’s largest active volcano is in Russia" They mean the same thing, but the first sentence is telling you something about Russia, whereas the second is telling you something about a volcano. You'd find the first in a text about Russia, and the second in a text about volcanoes. If I'm interested in finding out facts about Russia, I'd want to read the first.
it doesn't mean be located in here it means ( owns or acquires ) or simply has* For example : India is the home to the highest peak in the world.