Esther
friendly vs likeable are they synonyms?
Synonyms are important. They help us understand some words that are difficult to understand or remember, however, in my opinion, the two words are not synonyms. Here is why I say that: A person can be friendly (act in a friendly way/manner), but you may not like the person, so the person may not be likeable. A likeable person may not really act in a friendly way, but there may be something about that person that attracts you to him or her, then you would think or say that that person is likeable. Confusing or clear? Here's a great website for synonyms: http://thesaurus.com/ By the way, I think Spanish is a beautiful sounding language...
No, they're not synonyms, though they're often used interchangeably. Friendly means welcoming, receptive, warm, favourably disposed to other people, someone who makes an effort to make others feel at ease. Likeable means that a person is pleasant and has qualities that make them appealing to other people, and easy to like. A person could theoretically be likeable (because he's charismatic or attractive in some indefinable way) but not necessarily friendly. Similarly, a person could be very friendly to other people, but have something antipathetic about his personality that means that he fails to generate positive feelings in other people.
Per my answer above, some example sentences to illustrate the differences: Louis is very friendly - in fact he's sometimes over-friendly! But there's something unpleasant about him that I can't quite put my finger on, so I don't really like him! Marco is such a likeable young man! Because he's so shy he can seem a little unfriendly at first, but once you get to know him he's a really lovely guy....