[Deactivated user]
How do you say "She burst into tears" in French?
Jul 27, 2014 6:52 PM
Answers · 8
Another common expression is: éclater en sanglots Elle éclata en sanglots. Literally this means to burst into sobbing, so in that respect, it`s not exactly the same as bursting into tears. However, it does capture the (somewhat violent) notion of "bursting" (éclater), which "fondre en larmes" misses completely. Fondre en larmes literally means "to melt into tears" and would probably not be used if someone all of a sudden started loud weeping. In that case "éclater en sanglots" could be more appropriate. When I hear "fondre en larmes" it makes me think of someone staring out at the sea, and starting to cry noiselessly thinking about their long lost home (or something like that). You would hardly say "burst into tears" for that!
July 27, 2014
Salut,"fondre en larmes" --> Elle a fondu en larmes
July 27, 2014
In french it's "fondre en larmes' Elle fondit en larmes
July 27, 2014
Hola Camilo!!!!!! ^^ En frances, "She burst into tears" se dice "Elle fond en larmes" Buenas día! ;)
July 27, 2014
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!