Are the two items both called dressers in the pictures? How to distinguish them in English? The picture links are here, thank you.
Jul 28, 2014 4:05 AM
Answers · 3
The first picture is called a dresser while the second one is called a vanity. It's not really a drawer, but more of a dressing table used to apply makeup, do hair, store feminine products, and such. To tell the difference, dressers only have drawers used for storing things; vanities have mirrors on top in which you sit in front of. In addition, vanities are more of a piece of furniture―typically for women―used for the things listed in the beginning, while dressers can function to hold anything, anywhere for any person. ^.^
July 28, 2014
Just to clarify... the item with a mirror and a little ottoman sitting in front of it is a "vanity" The other item could be called a "dresser" but technically it's a "chest of drawers". A dresser is usually short and wide whereas a "chest of drawers" is narrower and taller.
July 28, 2014
In GB Eng, the one with the mirrors is a dressing table, and the other is a chest of drawers.
July 28, 2014
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!