Angélica
Community Tutor
What books do you recommend me to expand my English vocabulary and improve reading? I want to read some books in english but I don't know how I can choose. My level of english is B1/B2 and my purpose is expand my vocabulary in english and practice reading skills. Thanks!!
I would start with children's books as they will be shorter and have less vocabulary that will be hard for you. There is a category called "chapter books" that would be a good place to start. Then, once you find those are easier to read you could move on to "Young Adult" books and then what you might normally read. Some recommendations: Charlotte's Web Bridge to Terabithia Secret Garden Summer of the Monkeys Island of the Blue Dolphins More advanced I would recommend To Kill a Mockingbird. I read a lot and would be happy to give you more ideas if you tell me which topics you like best - romance, animals, mystery, horror......
I recommend reading short poems. It is very frustrating as a beginner to read something long that has so many new words. Try some poetry books by Shel Silverstein. They are funny poems for kids, so the vocabulary will be perfect!
There are plenty of great books in English targeted toward "young adults." I think that sort of book would be great for your purposes. Here's a list I found on BuzzFeed that might give you some ideas: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/the-best-ya-books-of-2013. I'm also going to suggest the obvious and mention Harry Potter and the Hunger Games if you haven't already read them (and even if you have!)
It really depends on what kind of books you like. When I was younger I loved to read 'The Five' by Enid Blython. Very easy and fun to read. If you're looking for more serious literature I can recommend Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'.
"The ABC's and All Their Tricks: The Complete Reference Book of Phonics and Spelling" [Paperback] ISBN-10: 0880621400 by author Margaret M. Bishop ------------------------------------------------------------------