Renat
Why do they say it? Why do English people say "you know" so often? Thanks.
Yes, it's just to fill space, and to give the speaker a moment or two to think. Sometimes, it's also to re-establish a connection with the person you are addressing : you might look at the other person to check they're following. But most of the time, it's used to keep the conversation flowing. I'm sure that you have similar phrases in Russian - all languages do. By the way, as I'm sure you realise - we're not just talking about 'English' people. 'English-speaking people' would be a better term, to include everyone in Britain (not just the 'English), Ireland, the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
It's called a "discourse marker." It doesn't have meaning on its own, it's just to fill space in the conversation.
This is funny. I have lived with English people all my life and I have not met any one of them who says "you know" a lot. In fact I know many English people who never say "you know". Where can I meet those who do?
Thanks You know:-) About 2 hours ago, That was my question,too :-)