Aii
Do the following sentences make sense?& "get vexed/irritated/mad/get on my nerves" Hi, do the following sentences make sense? 1) I am vexed by this notoriously secretive inhabitant of XX fields!! 2) I got vexed that this person was trying to manipulate me to take advantage of my linguistic handicap!! (Note) I'm sort of mad at someone in the above sentences.(just saying) Do they have absolutely the same meaning?(my favorite phrases I have learned so far) 1) get on my nerves 2) get irritated 3) get vexed Thank you very much in advance for your help in explaining them to me.
A. I wouldn't use 'vexed' if I were you. It's very old-fashioned. As GuideDogSaint says, your sentences are grammatically ok, but nobody would ever say them. Forget about 'vexed' - it isn't a useful word. B. Do they have absolutely the same meaning? 1) get on my nerves 2) get irritated What strikes me here is the fact that the grammar of these phrases is completely different, with different subjects and a totally different sentence construction: Noisy car radios get on my nerves. I get irritated when people play noisy car radios. As for the meaning, yes, they do mean the same. One difference in meaning is that while you can be irritated immediately, it takes a little time for something to get on your nerves. If someone does something annoying once, maybe it doesn't bother you, but if they keep on doing it then it can begin to 'get on your nerves'. Another difference is the situation in which you'd use them. As I'm sure you know, phrasal verbs are always more informal than their synonyms. So, here's a question for you : if you had to write a letter of complaint, which would you use?
"I am vexed" tells me that you currently have those feelings, while "I got vexed" tells me that you were feeling that way sometime earlier. Vexed has the same meaning in both sentences.
Vexed is an uncommon word. Your sentences are ok grammatically but way too wordy. No one would say them.
Hey! They all have the same meaning. All pretty much mean they 'drive you mad!'