Tomas
get over / recover Hello! Please let me know why I can't say 'It took me time to get over.' I know it is correct to say 'It took me time to recover.' but I don't know why. I guess 'get over' can't finish the sentence and has to be followed by other words but I'm not sure. Thanks :)
Hi Tomas, Sometimes, the difference between similar verb-forms is that one needs an object and the other doesn't. "Recover" doesn't need an object. However, with "get over", our question is, "Get over what?" Compare: "It took me time to recover from the illness." (note that we add a preposition: from) "It took me time to get over the illness." "Get over" is also in the common/colloquial register, whereas "recover" is more formal.
To get over [something] is a phrasal verb, and when used as "get over" is incomplete. You would have to say, for example, "It took me time to get over my divorce."