John
What does "sort of" mean in this sentence? ex. I sort of thought so too. what does "sort of" mean in the above sentence? Could you give me more example of its usage ?
I think you are sort of lazy and do not want to look up a dictionary yourself. So you come here and wait to be sort of spoon-fed.
Don't get offended at what Ben said - he's just teasing you! In fact, it's native speakers who are lazy. When we don't know what to say we just fill up the air space with meaningless phrases such as: sort of/ kind of/ you know / I mean/ like/ stuff like that/ actually/ These phrases don't mean anything at all, they are just ..sort of ... fillers.
I sort of agree with Su.Ki., It's an informal idiom that gives the idea that something is not whole or complete, of maybe you are not too sure about it. Similar to "somewhat", Ex. The movie was sort of boring (it wasn´t all dull, but it wasn´t awesome either) I sort of thought so too. (I agree, but not strongly) -Do you like it? -Sort of (yes I like it but not a lot, not a strong opinion)
The Free Dictionary quotes some interesting and credible definitions. I looked it up but was feeling sort of lazy and so did not bother to quote them for you here.