Harry
What does "even as parts of the world all but crumble on his watch." mean? President Obama surely has more than 99 problems — but here's one: He doesn't feel the need to even look like he gives a damn, even as parts of the world all but crumble on his watch. I don't know the politics of America well. Of course, I know President Obama. But, parts of the world all but crumble on his watch? Obama has to do with crumble on his watch? Has he ever cleaned his watch because of snack crumble? I know the meaning of parts of the world and I know all but means except for. But i don't know the meaning of "even as parts of the world all but crumble on his watch." Could you help me understand it?
Watch = the period of time during which he is on duty or in charge (that is, during his presidency) "...all but crumble..." = parts of the world are nearly collapsing (all but means almost)
It's not a literal timepiece. (Admittedly, I laughed at the very image.) ;) "On his watch" means while he is on duty (ie. his time as President of the US). The idea is of a guard watching over an area.