Kelly Xu
as legend is informed by interpretation, and interpretation is informed by time? The debt owed by my family has been paid, and then some. My mother believes our family’s story was settled with that debt—she has always maintained an unyielding faith in the cathartic power of denouement—which is why she has chosen to go for a walk this morning, rather than stay with us to hear me tell our story again. But I disagree with my mother: there is no tidy end to any story, as much as we might hope. Stories continue in all directions to include even the retelling of the stories themselves, as legend is informed by interpretation, and interpretation is informed by time. I would like to know what does "as legend is informed by interpretation, and interpretation is informed by time" mean. Thanks.
"Informed" here means just "influenced" or "affected" So, "Legend is affected by interpretation, and interpretation is affected by time." Hopefully that makes more sense. This usage is quite rare, only really appearing in old text. You wouldn't use it in everyday conversation.