IVY_BAO
How to decline somebody gently? As a teacher online, I meet different people from different countries. Someone do really want to learn with me, but someone not. How could I decline someone who is boringly flirting ? English is not my mother language. I need some help. I do not want to show impoliteness.
I guess these guys are sending a message "asking" about lessons, but they have no intention of paying for your time, let alone learn. For any inquiry, I reply with something like, "Feel free to check my schedule and see if any times are suitable for you." Usually, if that person is sincere about lessons, they'll book a session. I know this doesn't deal directly with the flirting problem, but that usually weeds out the general time-wasters. If they message you again, just ignore them. There's no reason to be polite to people who deliberately ignore what you've written. If you really want to write a reply, just "Thank you for the message, but I'm not interested" is enough. A more direct message would be, "I'm sorry, but I do not believe you're sincere about learning Chinese." If they are persistent or rude, block them and definitely report them. Think of who else they might be harassing.
You can say politely: "Please, we need to concentrate on our studies..." --or-- "We do not have much time to waste, lets concentrate on our studies..." If you want to be impolite, you can say: "Get lost, dirt bag." ; )
As a teacher, flirt only in the language you teach, so the students learns something. When study language, the topic doesn't really matter. With an interesting topic you learn way better.
Thanks, Richard! Thank you for correcting my mistakes and your suggestion!
Just a few comments about the wording (the way you wrote) you're question: As a teacher online, I meet different people from different countries. [PERFECT] Someone do really [Some people really do...] want to learn with [want to learn from me], [e.g. you teach and I learn something from you] but someone not [but some don't]. How could I decline someone who is boringly flirting ? [PERFECT... but reject might be better than decline] English is not my mother language. I need some help. I do not want to show impoliteness [PERFECT]. Ivy, every person deserves to be respected. Some men on the internet are disrespectful and foolish. No one is obligated to suffer from a fool's disrespectful behaviour. You know these men are not serious about learning a language as soon as they start talking about personal matters. Just do as Peachy says, and tell them bye bye...