Shyueyeuan
Is it true that the Sidney Sheldon novels are popular in all of the English speaking countries? Some English-learning people in China said the novels are so popular in the English world that every English-speaking people know that, so they recommend English learners to read these wonderful novels to enhance their language skills because the novels are so good materials to improve your skills. So I just wonder that is it true about all those claims, expecting answers not from English learners like me but from friends speaking English as their native language. Thanks a lot for all your friends~refer to this link: recommended books for English learners in China http://www.zhihu.com/question/24327190/answer/27431652
They are popular novels (流行小说), as opposed to literature. So they are easy handy material for the intermediate to advanced learners to get used to reading on English. I would not say they are.good educational material for learners. I would say that they would not do any harm. "Airport novels" are exactly what they are. They are written for readers who wish to switch off their minds. Most of the people I know, for example, do not read Sidney Sheldon, and would apologetic about it if they were caught reading one on the plane.
If you live in the US, as you say you do in your profile, all you need to do is to go into a book shop and see what interests you. What's the point of relying on a random post on a mainland Chinese forum from someone whose English is not necessarily very good?
I have just looked up the link you gave. I would not pay too much attention to it.
Yes, I would say he is very well known everywhere although I personally have never read one of his books. We call these kind of novels "airport novels" or "potboilers" - exciting, recognisable characters, an easy read for a holiday or a trip on a train or plane. I just looked him up on Wikipedia, and it says Sidney Sheldon is the 7th highest selling fiction author in English - that's a lot of books!
I can say with confidence Sidney Sheldon is a famous author all over the world. In my country his books are well sell out.