Looks like I've stumbled upon another interesting slangy but slightly dirty expression. Hi-ya, people! I'd really appreciate it if you help me to puzzle out this phrase: "I feel like shooting the shit with someone." What does that mean? Have you ever used it? Is the meaning of that phrase clear for native speakers of English? Do you think it sounds cool in a sense? Thanks for attention! =)
Shooting the shit typically means sitting around talking. I've used it, but rarely. It would be understandable to most English speakers. I don't know if "cool" applies, but it's very slangy/casual. You wouldn't ask your grandmother if she wanted to shoot the shit.
"shooting the shit" could mean two things that I am aware of. 1) spend time with someone and not doing very much 2) taking hard drugs (crack, heroine, cocaine etc) 1) might be cool, but 2) definitely isn't.
I see what you mean, Dan Smith. Thank you! It's still useful to just know such expressions.
... and when you put it into an expression like "shoot the s--t" or "bulls--t" it isn't as bad, BUT it is dangerous territory. It can be perfectly OK--or it can be definitely not OK. It is still one of the words they "bleep" out on the television.
BE CAREFUL. Customs are changing. I actually do not feel comfortable spelling the word s--t in full online. Some people will laugh at me for putting in the dashes, but better safe than sorry.It is one of the "seven dirty words," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words --the seven that are taboo and can get you into real trouble. It's not as bad as it used to be, and when you put it into an expression like "shoot the s--t" or "bulls--t"