Alexander
A quick question in Japanese A phrase I don't really get from my textbook:アメリカへ留学したいです。でもことばや金など、いろいろな問題があります。I understand it like that: I want to go study (abroad) in america, but I have questions about money ,words etc... doesnt make sense to me :( 誰か手伝ってくださいね。
I would understand that sentence like you: "I want to study in Amerika, I have various questions about things like language, money etc.." I'd translate ことば here more as "language" rather than "word". So the person who says this has the desire to study in Amerika but is totally unsure about living conditions, his own language skills etc.
Thank you all, I understand it better now. I didnt know that ことば can also mean language. どもありがとう。
Hello, 問題 can be translated as a problem or an issue, so if we remove 「ことばや金など」, the sentence could be translated as: アメリカへ留学したいです。でもいろいろな問題があります。 I want to study in America, but there are a lot of problems. If we add in 「ことばや金など」 we'd get: アメリカへ留学したいです。でもことばや金など、いろいろな問題があります I want to study in America, but there are a lot of problems like money, the language etc... 「ことばや金」 are examples of the various problems related to studying abroad. 「など」 is the Japanese equivalent of "etc", suggesting that the examples given are just 2 from a much longer list of issues the person is faced with.
It means you need money to go and live abroad including your school fee. And you also need some speaking skill of the local language to communicate with the local people and your school mates.