Luiz Felipe Pereira
I want to study the alphabet of IPA (International Phonetic Association) can you help ? Hello, I'm studying English and I'm living in the USA right now. I would love to learn English even faster. I think the alphabet from the International Phonetic Association can help very much not only to learn English but also to learn more languages after I'd mastered English. If you have ever used any book that comes with the IPA alphabet for pronunciation when you were studying for a foreign language could you share with me what book you used ? I would love if you could share with me a book written in English, would help me and I think all the italki.com community. Thank you very much !
The wikipedia article for IPA, and on vowels and consonants (which use IPA) are really great. They contain sound samples, and I taught myself IPA from reading those pages. I'm a native American English speaker, and it really helped me with my pronunciation when I was learning German.
Hi Luiz! Your English is excellent, at the same time, I'm not sure I understand your question -- are you asking if there are entire English books printed in IPA? As far as dictionaries using the IPA, I recommend the on-line versions of the MacMillan, Oxford, and Cambridge (for these last two, you should choose the "American" option). I don't recommend the Merriam Webster, because it doesn't use IPA, but rather a strange American phonetic alphabet. Here's a website you might enjoy to learn about American English phonetics: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/