Kaffrine
Can most of the German understand English Hey, i want to do a research that how many German can understand English. Are most of them can understand the English? Would they use english to get on line or just use German?
It depends mostly on their age. People of our parents' generation and older usually don't speak English, but might be able to understand it to some extent.
Depend on where you are and in what situation you are referring to... If you are living in Germany, you will definitely meet many people that can't speak any English If you are out of Germany and meeting people with a media language in English, then Yes most Germans can speak English nicely.
All the native Germans I met here, all speak English. Every chess player I see interviewed on the internet speaks English. I've been to Germany many times and the people I knew, spoke English.