Kelly Xu
Knock back??? . The limp body of the man was still erect, but his hands, which had been grabbing his neck, slowly slipped down over his torn overcoat, exposing the wire that had strangled him. An intense feeling of nausea almost knocked Caius back. I would like to know that does"knock back" here mean "shartle" or "almost make Caius fall down backward". Or there might be another meaning. Thanks.
A person is usually knocked-back by someone or something physically pushing them. For example, a boxer can "knock-back" his opponent. This doesn't mean the opponent fell down, just that they wore forcefully moved back. However, sometimes something can be so startling, scary, or disgusting that people are "knocked-back" by it. Have you ever been so surprised by something that you took a step backwards? That's what the author is trying to say. In that situation, Caius saw something so startling that his emotional reaction to it almost forced him back.
Well done for making an honest attempt to understand this. You're doing well. In this case, to be knocked back is most similar to saying he was shocked and startled. It would be rare to also assume he fell backwards.
Good question. I have never heard of the word "shartle". It's not used in the UK. I would check this. It may be slang, if it exists at all. The writer is being a bit lazy and should have said "knocked Caius backwards". This is similar to push someone back suddenly. It does not quite imply "fall down" which would be expressed better by "knock over". e.g. "He knocked over the glass" (i.e. it fell down) You use "knock over" more for things, not people. "Knock back" - phrasal verb - and "a knock-back" - noun - have other meanings too. Let me know if you want to know them. Kind regards, Michael