Mary
Do we pronounce the 'k' in "knowledge" and the 'f' in "often" I'm pretty sure I've heard some native speakers pronounce themSorry, I meant 't' in "often". ^_^ Typing mistake
Hi Mary, We don't pronounce the 'k' in knowledge and the 't' in often is optional - some people do and some don't (I do both). Rachel
The kn combination is pronounced as N. To know, knowing, Knowledge, Unknowable, Knowledgable The K is silent This also holds true for the similar "gn" combination as in Foreign. The G is silent and only N is pronounced As for OFTEN, the T is usually abandoned. So we day "OFF-en" rather than OFF-TEN.
(correction last line) "So we say "OFF-en"
Thanks Andi... Very helpful as usual
The "k" in knowledge is always silent in all dialects of English. The "t" in often is frequently pronounced, mostly by older people from the UK or former British colonies, and sometimes the same person who does pronounce it will also make it silent. It depends on mood, I suppose. Personally, I find myself pronouncing the "t" when I'm frustrated or angry and want to emphasise that something happens frequently.