Shawn
Community Tutor
How do you say "to run out of something" / "to be out of something" in bahasa Indonesia? I am trying to expand my vocabulary for my notebook entries and I can't find in any of these dictionaries the word for "to run out of something" / "to be out of something." For instance, 1.) I went to Starbucks this morning to get an iced tea but they were out of it so I had to get an iced coffee instead. = Pagi ini aku pergi ke Starbucks untuk membeli es teh, tapi ..... 2.) I went to Starbucks this morning to get an iced tea but they ran out of it so I had to get an iced coffee instead. Thanks in advance. I greatly appreciate your help. :)
out of it : kehabisan, it is derived from words "habis" The pattern for using "kehabisan" is always subject e.g : mereka kehabisan teh (they were out of tea) and "habis" is after the object we were talking, but don't forget to use "nya" e.g : tehnya habis (tea was out). kopinya habis uangnya habis Semoga membantu :)
to run out of something = kehabisan sesuatu the root word is habis 1.) I went to Starbucks this morning to get an iced tea but they were out of it so I had to get an iced coffee instead. >> Pagi ini aku pergi ke Starbucks untuk membeli es teh, tapi es tehnya habis, jadi aku beli es kopi. you kan also say: Pagi ini aku pergi ke Starbucks untuk membeli es teh, tapi kehabisan, jadi aku beli es kopi.
You can use "kehabisan" (informal "habis") to indicate something is ran out. The most common forms are "Subject+kehabisan(+Object)" and "Object-nya+habis". In your example, "I went to Starbucks this morning to get an iced tea but they were out of it so I had to get an iced coffee instead." = "Pagi ini aku pergi ke Starbucks untuk membeli es teh, tapi mereka kehabisan (es teh) jadinya aku membeli es kopi." or "Pagi ini aku pergi ke Starbucks untuk membeli es teh, tapi es tehnya habis jadinya aku membeli es kopi."
Shawn
English, French, Gaelic (Irish), Greek, Italian, Japanese