Bunch
Please solve this question about English grammar. While studying English, I ran into an English question that I really was confused about. Q. The relationship between Lune Hospital and Alma Healthcare Association has become _____ since they coordinated a successful fundraising event last year. a) strongly b) stronger c) strengthen d) strengthening I think the answer are two : (b) and (d) But the answer sheet says the only answer to the question is (b). Why can't "strengthening" be inserted in the blank? As for the meaning and the grammatical, it does work as far as I'm concerned.
Only "stronger" works in the blank. I guess your confusion comes from our use of "(verb)ing" in the place of an adjective sometimes. Well, the first issue is that "become" indicates a change, so the comparative "stronger" works. "Become strengthening", or any (verb)ing for that matter, just sounds awkward. The other issue is, "strengthening what?" If you were to put "strengthening", you would have to rewrite the whole sentence.