What's the difference between "relative" and "relevant"? What's the difference between "relative" and "relevant"? Could you make sentences to help me figure it out, thanks!!
relative can have different meaning dependent on context. So a brother and sister are relatives. However from your question, I think you are thinking of relative in its comparative use. Here relative would compare two objects to some other item. So examples, Most birds are smaller than people, but relative to ants, birds are giants. Relevant means "pertaining to" , this means that the association has meaning. So relevant evidence in a criminal trial would be being found at the scene of a crime. The opposite word is irrelevant. Having coffee for breakfast would be irrelevant in the same criminal trial.
(Talking to two people) - "Tell me about your relative strengths." This means both people have strengths and we want them to tell us what each of their strengths are. (Talking to one person) - "Tell me what skills you have that are relevant to this job" This means we want to know what skills are useful for this job.