Harry
What does "between the valley's wooden houses and church roofs" mean? I stood 3,346 feet above sea level on a steep mountain slope and found it was easy to feel a little breathless. As the morning fog lifted, the sharp peaks of the HopeTauern mountain range slowly emerged, some of which were very much alive. The sound of a donkey reminded us of our home as we drank hot coffee on a wooden balcony and watched our visible breath disappear into the cold air. Looking far below, we could see a small river twist like a silk ribbon between the valley's wooden houses and church roofs; the old buildings of a mountainside farm were surrounding us, with sheep and cows feeding on the mountain pastures. between the valley's wooden houses and church roofs A small river twists between the valley's wooden houses and church roofs. Could I understand this sentence like this? But, Why is it written like church roofs, not churches?
Because he's viewing the valley from above, he can see the roofs primarily. I don't know why he specifies church roofs and not the house roofs as well.