Auréliane
Do you have to use more particles when you speak formal korean ? I already know all the particles you use when you speak korean, but I was asking myself, when you speak formal korean, do you have to include in the sentences more particles in order to put the sentence in formal language ? If it is, what are the particles ?
Hi Auréliane, If I get what you are asking, in order to make sentences formal, there are some basic rules you can easily apply. 1. Start your sentence with the word '당신/그/그녀/그들'(you/he/she/they) instead of using '너/걔/걔네'(you/he/she/they in an informal way). 2. Always finish with the word '요' or '다'. Ex. 1) 당신은 이곳에 들어오실수 없어요 (or 당신은 이곳에 들어오실수 없습니다). = you cannot enter this place. Ex. 2) 그는 주말마다 거기서 봉사 해요 (or 그는 주말마다 봉사를 합니다). = he volunteers there every weekends. ~다 is more formal and polite than ~요. Hope it helps.