afsane
Hi! What does "tap into" mean in this sentence?! Any politician that gets 70 million votes has tapped into something larger than himself.
I am not certain from where this expression comes, but visualize a miner discovering a vein of gold buried in the earth. Think of the miner "tapping into" this vein. Equally fortunate would be the politician who garnered 70 million votes.
"Tap" in this case is similar to a faucet, and "tap into" means to get access to a resource -- such as water, petroleum, natural gas, etc. but can be used more broadly too. Your example sentence sounds a little bit strange, but I think the author means the politician has access to a big supply of "political power."
Hello. How are you ? I teach English in a college, and you ? I could help you to improve your spoken English. It is free of charge. I just want to meet new friends and know their cultures, such as : interesting places, education, food etc. Please add me & talk on Skype directly = aliagil1