123sesok
The Situation of Gaelic? I wonder if all the people of the Republic of Ireland can speak Irish?
Unlikely. I have family who live in the Republic of Ireland and they only speak English. Unfortunately Gaelic isn't as commonly used as it was in the past. I live in Scotland, Gaelic is also our 'mother tongue' however it isn't so widely used on mainland Scotland. Although everyone tends to speak English/Scots, Gaelic is still commonly spoken by those who in the Highland and Islands. Funding has been put in place by the Scottish Government to promote the Gaelic language and some Gaelic schools have been opened in big cities such as Glasgow and Aberdeen to promote and encourage the use of Gaelic. I hope this has been of help.
They have to learn Irish while in school (they call it Irish since there's other Gaelic languages like Scottish and Welsh). They do learn it, but once they graduate from school they don't really use it so most forget it. There are some areas where people grow up speaking Irish, so there are some native speakers of Irish, they're just not very common. It's probably similar to what Vivienne describes in Scotland. Some people in some areas grow up using it, and the government is trying to revive the language in other areas.