Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? “Obviously you had a miserable time. But you can’t blame anyone for seeing you as a spectacle.” Frida looked puzzled. Her earrings today were a pair of heavily embossed golden snakes, but with her newly shorn, glossy head she looked like a sea lion. With gold teeth. “What spectacle?” Carmen Frida Kahlo de Rivera. Who could explain her to anyone, least of all herself? “You play a certain role. You have to admit that. Mexican peasant, queen of the Azteca or what. You don’t dress to blend in.” Her gold incisors flashed. “If I don’t choose, they choose for me: Wife of the Much-Discussed Painter. The newspapers would wrap me in gauze and make me a martyred angel, or else a boring jealous wife. Above all, a victim—of Diego and life. Of disease. Look at this leg.” How would you interpret this sentence: You don’t dress to blend in? Thanks! PS: It’s from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
It is useful to learn or articulate the meaning of "blend in": "Be an unobtrusive or harmonious part of a greater whole by being similar in appearance or behaviour".
Her choice of clothing is unique and noticeable.