How real and how strong are the chinese triads in Hong Kong? Since years, I have a chinese movie on DVD with Sibelle Hu. The english title is "Ultra Force 2" and it is about the triads in Hong Kong. I wish I would have more movies with Sibelle Hu, she is a great actor. Anyway, I wonder if this movie is showing real stuff. I mean, is the chinese police really using Gong Fu to battle the triads? Are there really big shootouts between the police and the triads in Hong Kong? How real are the triads anyway? Are they more kind of a movie myth or really a threat to Hong Kong security? You know, in Europe the italian Mafia has been mostly made in movies but it sais in real life, they control every part of Italy in the background. I wonder if the situation in Hong Kong with the triads is quite the same, or if it has been way overpublicised by the movies. A chinese even told me, that Chow Yun-Fat has once dealt with the triads and that the triads even financed these kind of movies during the 80s and 90s. Is it true? Thank you.
There are triad groups in Hong Kong. But there are no wild shootouts with police. Gun violence is rather rare in Hong Kong. Triads in Hong Kong are mainly into (illegal) commercial activities. That is mainly: • Prostitution (which is legal in HK for local ladies, but they bring lots of girls illegally from China) • Drug trade (of course!) • Extortion (selling 'insurance' to Chinese restaurants and clubs, controlling minibus operators etc.) It's not glamorous at, it's all rather sleazy.
@kc: Thank you very much for your answer, although I do not trust Wikipedia articles I trust your answer hehe. A chinese told me that Chow Yun-Fat has once been harassed by the triads because he was into the daughter of one triad leader or something like this. Thats why I asked it here, if this is really true because I had a hard time to believe into this.
No, policemen don't know Kungfu, and they use guns and tear bombs. Are there really big shootouts between the police and the triads in Hong Kong? Lol. The triads are very real, but you just don't see them actively on the streets like few decades ago. Of course they are a threat to the HK society, but nowadays they are smarter and tend to stay low profile. Yes, it's true the triads have great influences during the 80s and 90s. If you have a gun pointed to your head, are you gonna obey or not? There have been a lot of actors forced into really bad movies and even porn, but I'm not sure if they still do this today. Most likely, they can't touch the A-list actors anymore, but there have been assaults regarding kidnapping and what not. Check the HK newspapers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Organised_crime_groups_in_Hong_Kong