Grace
When I listen to the sermon at church When I listen to the sermon at church, if I want to tell my friend by using the word, "service", which one will be the correct grammar? Or, I'm wondering if both of these two sentences are wrong.... haha..... :) 1. I'm in service. 2. I'm on service. I always want to use this word, "service", because even if I say "I'm at church", it doesn't mean that I'm listening to the pastor. I might be eating lunch or talking with friends. So, what should I say?? :) If both of these two sentences are wrong, please tell me the right way to express it! :D Thank you. :)
You would say "I am at a (church) service" if you are just attending and listening. If you are actually participating (eg singing with the others before the preacher starts, etc) you could say "I am in a (church) service". But it does not matter so much, people are not too picky about one or the other. You can say "I am at church". Whatever the case, if you use the word service, I would definitely put the article, and say "a service" or if your friend knew about it already you would say "the service". "I am at the service / I am at a service right now"
"I'm at church" tells us you would be listening to a sermon or praying. "I'm at the church" simply means visiting the building, or perhaps socialising with friends after the service. Maybe it's a difference between denominations, but "I'm at Mass" is what I'd use. This means I'm attending a church service. I agree with Lydia's suggestion of adding "a". Without it, "in/on service" makes me think you've joined the military or something.
"I'm at church right now" is sufficient most of the time as it already implies that you're busy. If you really have to be specific, then you can say "I'm in the middle of a worship service".
I think "I'm in (or at) service" is fine. Also, I think if you say "I'm at church." most people will assume you're there for service, so that's ok too. If you're there for another reason you can explain more.
Thanks a lot, guys. It was always when my friend kept messaging me when the service started.... XD He already knows I am at church, but we start talking when I'm having the lunch break. So, that's why I needed to explain more that the service just started so I needed to go. :) Thank you. I mean, I'm always picky about grammar!! XD :) Because I love grammar. :) Anyway! Umm.... I'll say "I'm at a(the) service.". Like, "Hey, I'm sorry. I should go now. I'm at the service.". (P.S. I think I just found out I could also say "The service just started....XD!!). Thank you. :)