Kailin
Are these sentences or expressions correct? Thank you! 1) the use of clean energy, clean energy use, clean energy consumption, the consumption of clean energy. I think the latter two are correct, but I am not sure whether it is correct or proper to write "clean energy use" or "the use of clean energy" in academic writing. If they are both correct, please tell me which sounds more formal and academic. 2) Can I use the structure: It can be seen from Figure 1: First,..... Second..... Third... It can be seen from Figure 1 that: First,..... Second..... Third... I am not sure whether a "that" is needed, whether a colon ":" is needed, whether I should use a semicolon ";" or a period "." between "First,..", "Second..." and whether it is necessary to use capital "First" "Second" or in lower case. 3) Two sentences I found strange or can be refined, but didn't know how to correct it: Further details about the data are available through contact with the authors. Data are only available to (or till?) 2010 released by World Bank. Thanks a lot!
1) "The use of clean energy" sounds much better. I would not use clean energy use since it is less common and questionable. Just remember "The use of clean energy" is used as a verb, an action. So you would say "The use of clean energy by companies, or the using of clean energy by companies". DO NOT SAY "Companies following the use of clean energy laws or companies using the use of clean energy". Just to help you avoid some common mistakes. 2) If you were writing in a sentence, such as in the middle of the paper and you wanted to write out the full sentences, you would say "It can be seen from Figure 1 that the first is ___, the second is ___, and the third is ___. But this must be all one sentence. If you have a lot to say about each one then you would separate them with a period. If it is a list or bullet point form you would say. "It can be seen from Figure one." First:___ Second:__ Third:___ This would be on a separate line. It is not proper to use in the paper, it is for saying your points only. Not in the main body of the paper. Sounds a little odd. 3)(Here are some other options) Further details about the data can be acquired from the authors. Or Further details about the data can be acquired by contacting the authors. Or Further details about the data are available through contacting the authors. Data are only available "until" 2010 released by World Bank. (Data "IS" only available) may also be appropriate to say as it is more common. And I would say: Data are only available until 2010 and are released by World Bank OR ....until 2010; released by world bank. Or Data are released by World Bank and are only available until 2010. Hope this helps, sorry it's so long, message me if you need more help. :)
Further details on the data are available from the authors.
The correct form is "Current data, as released by the World Bank, are updated to 2010 only."