Anotherworld
In the passage, does old-school film indicate the word "celluloid film'? Movies have always been in the business of bringing back the dead. Think about zombies, or vampires, ghosts. And now celluloid film. / What? / That's right. Despite slipping sales with the rise of digital film-making, Kodak announced a pact with major studios, last week, to continue producing and supplying 1)old-school film. This is 2)a tough play. The company's sales of 3)the stuff have fallen by 96 percent in the past decade. But a number of Hollywood directors, including Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino and Judd Apatow, have lobbied 4)the studios. And Kodak hopes this agreement will slow film's rapid decline and 5)give all this a Hollywood ending. 1)In the passage, does old-school film indicate the word "celluloid film'? 2)What does "a tough play" mean? 3)"The company's sales of the stuff ~~" in this sentence, does the stuff mean celluloid film? 4) "have lobbied the studios." in the sentence, do the studios indicate the major studios that made a contract with Kodak.
By the way, I am CERTAIN they do NOT mean "celluloid." Celluloid is cellulose nitrate, which was incredibly inflammable and hazardous and hasn't been used since 1952. I am CERTAIN some reporter made a major mistake. I'm CERTAIN Kodak is making ACETATE film, also known as "safety film." But I'll call it "celluloid" because that's the word the story uses. "Old-school" means old-fashioned or outdated. In this case, yes, it means celluloid film. "A tough play" means "a bold, risky thing to do." Yes, "the stuff" refers back to "celluloid film." "To lobby" means "to advocate; to work hard at convincing." In the golden age of Hollywood, film studios liked to give movies happy endings. "Hollywood ending" means "happy ending."
No old school is a phrase used to mean very old fashioned or retro.
5) I don't know what the sentence mean. "give all this a Hollywood ending."
Owing to the limited number of characters, I can't say "Please help me, Thanks!" : )