Ruby Chen
I can't "distinguish" this one from the other one. Could I change the "distinguish" to "tell"? I wonder if they still mean the same if I change "distinguish" to "tell"?
Ruby, I think we need an example that you're thinking of. In general, to distinguish means to choose between two or more things, whereas to tell is to give an instruction or talk to someone.
The word distinguish can be used in several ways and meanings , check your dictionary to get explanations in more detail , enjoy your eveing .
Both words can be used in the sentence , but one need's to know the basis behind the sentence . I can not distinguish the difference between this one or the other one . I can't tell the difference between this one or the other one .
Yes you can. In certain cases tell means the same as distinguish. " I can't tell the difference between the two twins"="I can't distinguish the difference between the two twins" Tell is a much less formal way of saying distinguish but is used very often in everyday speech