About American Accent Hello. I know about Flap Consonants in American English. But I confused. I heard a song. This song is Limp Bizkit - Gold Cobra. Fred sings "..You're gettin nothin while...". But it sounds like [get'n]. I thought that it must sound like [gerin] (flap cons.) I think you understand me. Why do he sings [get'n]?
Aug 18, 2014 4:57 PM
Answers · 5
The aveolar flap consonant, typical of North American pronuncation, is actually closer to a 'd' sound, so what you should be hearing is something similar to [ged'n].
August 18, 2014
I'm embarrassed to say that I've never heard of flap consonants, but in answer to your question: dropping the "g" at the end of a word ending in "ing" is a slangy way of speech, and is also done in some dialects, like in the South.
August 18, 2014
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!