Omar Tadeo
What is the difference between college and university? I'm from Peru and here when we finish the secondary school (from 12 years old until 16 or 17 years old), we can enter the (university or college ??) where we can study a professional career such as medicine, engineering ,etc (the careers last about 5 years). I'm confused if in my country we have to use the word university or college. Thank you
Aug 19, 2014 11:30 PM
Answers · 3
In U.S. usage, relying on as my guide to Peru: If you are talking about a "Licenciatura" you can use either the word "college" or "university." If the institution has "Universidad" in its name, call it a "university." If you are asked specifically what kind of degree it is, call it a "bachelor's degree." ("Bachelor's" always means study following secondary school, never the "IB" or "international baccalaureate.") "I went to college" means "I have a bachelor's degree." "I went to a university" means "I have a bachelor's degree, and I got it at an institution that is a university." "A college degree" or "a college education" means "a bachelor's degree." If you are talking about "Maestría" or "Doctorado" you would add that separately and you would name the field: "I have a Master's in Education from the University of Wisconsin." "College" and "University" are almost the same. They are "higher education." They follow secondary school. "College" NEVER means a secondary school. It ALWAYS means study following secondary school. Usually, it means four years of study leading to a bachelor's degree. A "university" is a collection of "schools." Universities do not grant degrees. The schools grant degrees. "Harvard College" is a PART of "Harvard University." It is the part of Harvard that grants the bachelor's degree. It is the "undergraduate school" of "Harvard University." Harvard University also has various "graduate schools" that FOLLOW college: a medical school, a law school, a business school, and other schools granting "masters' degrees" or "doctoral degrees" or "Ph.D's" in various fields. There are small colleges that only grant bachelors' degrees, so they are "colleges" but they are not "universities." CONFUSINGLY, there are two major full-scale research universities that choose to call themselves "colleges" for historical reasons: Dartmouth College, and the College of William and Mary.
August 20, 2014
As it was said in the first answer; It depends on the educational system in ur country. In my country 'Jordan' we finish school in 12 years, so at the age of 18 we choose where we want to study; if the choice is college then we'll take a two year diploma, but if we go to university we'll study at least for four years to achieve the bachelor degree (B.A) if u study law for example, but if u choose to study something else like medicine in the Univ., then u'll need 7 years to finish ur degree & 5 years for engineering... Etc
August 20, 2014
Honestly, it depends on the country and the school system. My high school was actually called a "college". It's quite different elsewhere.
August 19, 2014
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!