Brainer
To stare somebody dumb I have found this expression in the dictionary, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. According to it, it means "to shut somebody up with a stare". Is it true?
I have only heard of, to stare someone down. This means to keep staring until they back down, or given in to the other person who is staring back. It is like a duel of staring.
I've never heard it before either. "Stare somebody down" is much more common. What dictionary are you using?
We understand it and it makes sense, but it seems more like a writer's turn of phrase than a standard expression. It's good that you've tried searching for the phrase elsewhere.
I agree. I'd understand it, but have never heard it before. I'd forget this one, if I were you.
Never heard it. Searching for the phrase was a good idea. I suspect it's a mistake in the dictionary and that it should have been "to stare somebody down."