Lily
Could anyone helps me to answer this question? Thank you very much! 1. "The first figure provides data on the rates of conviction among men and women of various ages." Is "rates" correct or should I use "rate"? If "rates" is correct why it is used in plural form? 2. "Also evident is the fact that ..." Could you tell me why "evident" is an adjective can be placed at the beginning of a sentence as a subject like the above sentence?
"Rates" is correct for (1) because your using plural, "MEN", "WOMEN". Because "evident" is an object or something that is being the main subject here...
1. You presumably have several sets of data here, for men and women of different ages, so there will be different 'rates'. 2. This is an example of inversion. 'Evident' isn't the subject. The core of the sentence is 'The fact that .... is also evident'. Here you just have an alternative construction: 'Also evident is the fact that...'. This type of structure is a common feature of formal writing.