Niwantha
Present Perfect or Past Perfect? Dear friends Which one is the gramatically correct sentence? (have left or had left) 1) You will not be able to contact me on my mobile as I had left it home today. 2) You will not be able to contact me on my mobile as I have left it home today. Regards Niwantha
I agree with Rob. Only the second sentence is correct. It is not a question of choice or preference. The reference point is 'today'= present time, so the action leading up to this time (the leaving of the phone) has to be in the present perfect : 'I have left'. 'I had left' would have to refer to a period previous to a stated time in the past. So you could say: 1) Nobody could contact me on my mobile yesterday as I had left it home. 2) You will not be able to contact me on my mobile as I have left it home today. It's really quite straightforward. It may be helpful to think of the perfect tenses as 'bridges' connecting times: the present perfect refers to a time leading up to now, while the past perfect leads up to a time in the past.
The second is correct in this sentence; the first is incorrect. "Had left" must be in relationship to some other time, normally past. Because you are discussiong an event in relationship to the present, the "have" form is used. So Katherine's example for the "had" form ( "I could not be reached on my mobile last Tuesday because I had left it at home.") is correct because it is in reference to past event or time, ie "last Tuesday."
Both are grammatically correct, but I would use "have left" - it sounds more natural to me. If I were to use "had left" I would use it in this sentence: "I could not be reached on my mobile last Tuesday because I had left it at home."
I take it you accidentally duplicated your question?
Honestly, Niwantha, both are grammatically correct. =) They are both talking about an action in the past that has an effect or connection with the present. But if I were to choose between the two, I'd be more comfortable saying the first one. ^_^