What are the uses " used to " ?
'Used to' two different uses. 1. Used to + infinitive = I used to do This is the example which G.Moe gives. It describes something which you did regularly in the past which you no longer do eg I used to go swimming every day when I was a child. 2. Be + used to + ... ing = I'm used to doing This describes something which you are accustomed to, or which is familiar to you. eg At first Ali found it driving in Australia difficult because he wasn't used to driving on the left. It is important not to confuse these two constructions.
You can use "used to" to talk about something you did regularly in the past but you no longer do, for instance: 'when I was a child I used to go to the school from Monday to Friday' or 'You used to sleep more last year'.
Hello Mustapha: I used to answer many of these questions. I used to make a lot more money than I do now. You used to love me. I used to love you. There used to be a baseball field in this park, but it is now gone. There used to be more trees in this area. There used to be a small stream that went right through this part of the park. There used to be a department store here, but it was replaced by an auto parts store and a fast food restaurant. There used to be many students in this school but the numbers are dwindling. I used to hate going to school. I used to hate myself and felt that I was a bad person. They used to come here often. I used to have respect for them. I used to discuss all of those ideas. There used to be peace in this town. I used to work on my own car, but now I take it to a mechanic's shop.