Bibinur
please, correct my mistakes I won (took) the 1st place in French essay contest or French Essay writing competition. My students are winners of City French Olympiad or City Olympiad on French language. My students won 2nd place at the contest of fairy-tales in French.(not french fairy tales, tales of other countries in french)
1. You can use won or took. Either is fine. Also, either "French essay competition" or "French essay writing competition" works. But only "French" should be capitalized, and you should use the indefinite article "a" before it. I won first place in a French essay writing competition. 2. Again, either option is fine, but you should use the definite article and make "city" possessive. My students are winners of the city's French olympiad. (If the name of the event is "City French Olympiad" then you would not need to make these changes.) 3. I'm not sure there is an easy way to say this concept and to be clear on it. You may just need to add a whole phrase. "My students won 2nd place in the Fairy Tales event at the French language contest by translating stories from our country into French." Hope this helps!