anu
gradually become or is gradually becoming The two sentences below are in the present simple tense. The tense is used, because, as I remember from many grammar books, the first one is about something that happens regularly (is in "The sun rises in the morning and sets at evening."). The second one is a book review. "After working for a while, getting a car gradually becomes more of a priority." "Although his pursuer searches for the body, it gradually becomes clear the man has vanished not through trickery but through divine intervention." And that's fine. My problem is with this sentence: "Aramaic gradually becomes the language of outer life..." I can't find an explanaton why the present tense is used here In my opinion the function of 'to become' in the 'Aramic' example is similar to "Lenovo is gradually becoming becoming more of a mobile firm..." So, the present progressive tense should be used in it. What do you think?
3
0
I've found the text where you found the sentence - it really helps if you give some context, instead of an isolated fragment. In context, it's clear that the sentence is used to describe a process (over time, and in the distant past, in fact). So, simple tense works. The Lenovo sentence reports a changing trend at this current point in time. It's news. If you swapped simple and continuous forms in either sentence, that would simply be incorrect.
anu
English, Polish