katiuscia
Good morning, what's whether like in your country? Today in my country it 's cloudy.
Nov 7, 2014 10:42 AM
10
0
Nice question! Here in Erevan it was a sunny day, a very pleasant one.
I forgot to mention: there are two different words with different spellings. "Weather" is the state of the atmosphere: hot, cold, raining, snowing. "Whether" introduces different possibilities. "I don't know whether coffee or tea has more caffeine." They are pronounced EXACTLY the same.* STOP READING HERE. Proceed at your own risk. There is actually a THIRD one, "wether," but only farmers know it. A "wether" is an altered male sheep. The only place you will ever hear it outside a farm is as part of the word "bellwether," which means "leader." The original literal meaning was a wether with a bell who leads a flock of sheep, *(Well, almost exactly--my mother was very careful about aspirating the "h" in words like that. The American Heritage dictionary records one pronunciations for "weather" and two for "whether." The first is EXACTLY the same as "weather," and the second has the "h" sound. These days I think aspirating the "h" sounds affected).
It is cooler in Taiwan now, approximately by less 7 C degrees in December or January every year.
in italy today was not good wether in some cities strong wind and rain. in my country now it's raining but not cold.
Good morning, katiuska. I don't know what "the weather is like in my COUNTRY" because the United States is so big that the weather is completely different between one place and another. Once when I was traveling in Texas, I turned on the TV to get a weather report, and they had five completely different weather reports for different parts of Texas. Here in New England it is overcast, completely clouded over, and it is going to be a damp, cold, blustery, rainy day. The temperature right now is 7 degrees C. From an atlas, I see that Italy is classified in "Mediterranean or Dry Summer Subtropical," and I see that southern California is classified the same way, so there is a part of the United States that has the same kind of climate as Italy. Where I live is "Humid Continental, Warm Summer" which is the same classification as Romania and the Ukraine.
katiuscia
English, Italian