Allen Yu
I am getting... "I'm getting better." "I'm getting ready for bed." "I'm getting a tooth ache." "I'm getting a cold." "I'm getting married." "I'm getting tired." Those sentences mean I am not better, I am not married. However, I will get better soon, I will get tired soon, I am going to gain sth. right? so stupid question.:)
2
0
Each carries a different nuance or meaning, Allen. It is not correct to view it as meaning "I am not..." getting better - I am becoming better; in the process of...; ...recovery...; improving. I have already made some progress! getting ready for bed - in the process of getting tooth ache - I am suffering from the early symptoms getting a cold - I feel it coming; suffering from the early symptoms getting married - it's something that has been agreed and I shall do it getting tired - I feel the onset of tiredness; I am feeling less and less energetic or enthusiastic It's about a continuing process that has begun or about to begin.
Allen Yu