Daniel
Meed vs consider I would like to know what is the difference between meed and consider? If you can tell me clear examples it would be fabulous. Thanks!!Thank you very much. I am sure that it is "meed". I read it a couple of days ago on a report on The Guardian's website. I do not remember the context but I wrote down in my papers. If it is a very old word I do not understand why a newspaper like The Guardian's reporters use this kind of words. It does not make any sense to me.
2
0
Meed is a very old word which means "reward". No one uses this word, and you should not either. Perhaps you mean "Deem"? Deem essentially means to regard something as true about something else, especially in a way that gives a label to the first thing. Consider means to think about something carefully, normally to make a decision. So, when you "deem" something, you have made a decision, but when you "consider" something, you will probably make a decision after that. For example, a man is arrested for a crime. A trial is held, and a jury will consider if the man is guilty or innocent. Then, the jury will deem the man guilty, or innocent. They consider the evidence, and then deem the evidence sufficient or insufficient to convict the man of the crime.
I think you mean "heed", which is "pay attention to; take notice of". "Consider" means "think carefully about".
Daniel