KellyXu
played the edge of?? I was thereafter aware of how much time I was working on her drawings, as I played the edge of her very real and remarkable reception of what I was showing her with the fact that my little darling simply wanted to lay claim to a better drawing. It was all in good fun and it wasn't long before I recognized that the collaborations between her artistic awkwardness and my skill resulted in better, far more interesting drawings than anything we ever did individually. Lisa helped me loosen the grip on my all too factual renderings and I helped her tighten her artful lack of dexterity. We were well matched! I would like to know what does "played the edge of " here mean? Thanks.
Nov 16, 2014 7:41 AM
4
0
I think the sentence needs to be divided differently. The phrase is "play A with B". This means that you manage the situation so both A and B work together. "The edge" refers to the division between the two things. It's a balancing act. "...as I played the edge of [(A) her very real and remarkable reception of what I was showing her] with [(B) the fact that my little darling simply wanted to lay claim to a better drawing]."
I have never heard of this expression before. I looked up the expression on linguee.com and no-one has used in on the internet. The whole sentence is strange and I can't understand it. In the same paragraph, he has made up another expression "tighten her artful lack of dexterity" which doesn't make too much sense either. Some authors manipulate language so much that they end up sounding pretentious, in my opinion.
KellyXu