Kelly Xu
I had been invited to Steve's memorial service??? I had been invited to Steve's memorial service at Stanford because I had requested to be included. But then I was uninvited because I had given Rolling Stone permission to print a piece about Steve and our early years together. So it was only as a result of Lisa's narration that I could see my way into my own experience of his death. I sat alone in Los Altos Hills overlooking Duveneck Ranch during the funeral and the memorial trying to fathom it all. I would like to know that whether the first two sentences means "I had been invited to Steve's memorial service, but uninvited to his funeral"? Thanks.
Nov 18, 2014 2:41 AM
3
0
The funeral and the memorial service were one and the same occasion, and, in fact, the tense sequence tells you what happened. 'I had been invited' ..'But then I was uninvited'. The past perfect describes what happened first (being given the invitation) while the past simple describes what happened next (having the invitation withdrawn). So in the end, the writer wasn't allowed to go to the event.
Yes, that is what is means. The narrator was at first invited because (s)he asked to be included. Then (s)he was uninvited because (s)he gave an interview to a magazine about his/her relationship with Steve, and someone from Steve's family was probably upset by the interview and uninvited the narrator.
"I had been invited to Steve's memorial service" - notice the past perfect, "had been invited". "But then I was uninvited" - past simple. So, the invite was taken away. In the very beginning, the narrator could go, but then (after the article was published) s/he could not go. Perhaps it's the use of past perfect at the very beginning which threw you?
Kelly Xu