Pineapple
Meaning of "derivative" What does "derivative" mean in this paragraph? and what will be the meaning of the whole paragraph? "Narrative fundamentally establishes a relationship between storyteller and audience, and for this reason, narratives are derivative in order to assure that all concerned understand each other." Does it mean that narratives today use some versions of older stories (that existed and experimented before this) to guarantee the mutual understanding of all participants of each other (the storyteller and the audience)?
Although the word derivative commonly implies imitation, that is not exactly the meaning here. Derivative fundamentally means "comes from another thing". In this case, the "thing" it is coming from is the narrator. It means that narrative comes from the perspective of the storyteller in order to develop the relationship with the audience. In my opinion, the word "derivative" was a poor choice in writing. It technically has the right meaning, but is very confusing even for native speakers.
If it's any consolation, I'm a native English speaker, and I don't know what that sentence means, either. I came here hoping to give an answer, but found all I can offer is consolation :).
Pineapple
English, German, Persian (Farsi)
English, German