Michael Placid
What does "screen" mean? I read a news, The immigration officials who were screening the visa application were skeptical. what does screen mean here? it means display or speak out? And one more word: He excitedly started ticking off his favorite Disney rides and how excited he was to meet Donal Duck. What does tick off mean? it means angry with something? Thank you very much.
In this case, the verb screen means: to examine (people or things) in order to decide if they are suitable for a particular purpose Example: In the US, when you go to the airport, you have to go through security screening by the TSA. In this example, "Tick off" means to count off. More often, however we hear it used in a different way which means to make someone mad or irritated. Example: If my father does not let me take the car to town, it will tick me off. or when my father did not let me take the car to town, I really got ticked off.
Michael Placid
Chinese (Cantonese), English